Monday, September 13, 2010

Kindergarten 2010

Well, the day finally arrived. Owen is now officially in elementary school. He is a Kindergartener, a Big Kid, a Big Brother, halfway to 6 years old with an attitude that puts him around 10, and busting with Energy. En-er-gy.

He's also my baby, my first born, the one I am hard on and expect a lot from, the one I want to cuddle even if he is all elbows and knees. The one who drives me to Crazyland and Frustratedville. The one that makes me beam with pride when he is kind to another.


We have spent the better part of everyday for the past 5 and 1/2 years with each other. It was difficult to let go, but he is sooooo ready. He is at a place that demands more than I think I can provide. Honestly, I think I just lack the energy that is required to keep up with him. Did I mention his endless ENERGY?

We had a fun morning on that first morning and to be honest I have enjoyed the ritual of getting ready in the morning. We get up, I make coffee, he gets dressed, he eats, baby eats, lunch is made, shoes and jacket on, and off the the bus stop we go. Now, ask me again in a few months and I might be over the novelty of it all : )

We are so fortunate that the bus stop is two driveways down from ours and we know all of the kids at the stop. They were so silly and welcoming to Owen that it made my heart burst. I felt really good about his bus ride because of that. I knew they would look out for him and let me know if anything went wrong. It was still scary, but I was O.K. I was. I swear. Only a few tears.

After Safety Town, the open houses, the mini meetings, and the Getting Ready for Kindergarten classes I think he was very comfortable boarding the bus and going to school. We have prepared him the best we know how. Endless talks about safety, bullying, kindness, strangers, etc.. I hope it stuck. I hope he remembers the important things when he's faced with a challenge. I hope he remembers he can tell us anything.

Troy and I went up to the school to meet the bus and see what it's like for him getting off and into school. See that man in the tan suit? That's the principle. He was greeting all of the kids and making a point to say hello to the Kindergarteners. See that little guy in the grey and red jacket sauntering into school? That's my baby. We called his name but he never looked over. Just said hi to the principle and walked on in. We didn't follow. We didn't think he needed us to. We knew he was going to be just fine.

So that was the beginning of the Big First Day. Wyatt and I met his bus after school and we stayed outside to play with the neighbors. He zoomed off of he bus with way more energy than I though he would have and it did take until bed time to sort through the whole day, but he slept soundly and didn't protest when we got up to do it all again the next day. I am so proud of him.

My heart may have been full of butterflies all day, but I think he had a good time. I felt a little lost that day and for the rest of the week. Beginning week #2 has me feeling better and I am embracing this new phase in our lives. Tomorrow he is supposed to wear orange and I am trying to convince him to try a hot lunch. Parent/Teacher conferences are in a few weeks and next month is the first PTO meeting. My 'fridge is already started to be covered with self portraits and school news.

Welcome to Kindergarten.




2 comments:

  1. Yeah. We're having some EN ER GY problems over here. Tons of energy at night. Exploding really. All over the house and everyone in it. They should be wiped out, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cool that all the kids in your neighborhood ride the same bus.

    ReplyDelete